It will soon be the rainy season in Florida, and that means hurricane season is right around the corner.
Bill Jones Roofing wants to make sure you protect your home and help prevent unexpected repairs on your home or business.
Here are some suggested tips to ensure your roof is operating a top performance to protect against damage.
- Clean and flush your gutters regularly: Remove debris, leaves, sticks, and anything else that has made its way into your gutter system. Clean gutters mean water won’t overflow back into your roof system, leaving it susceptible to water damage.
- Examine roof shingles, tiles, or metal sheets: You should conduct a close inspection of your roof to see if any materials were lost or damaged over time. Cracked, loose, or missing materials should be replaced as soon as possible in order to protect your home.
- Inspect metal areas for rust. If it’s present, wire brush the rust, then prime and paint the metal.
- Moss and algae growing on your roof can trap moisture which will compromise the longevity of your system. If you notice moss or algae growing on your roof, remove with algae a chlorine solution or install zinc or lead control strips.
- Seal any cracked mortar or caulking around joints and chimneys, if it appears to be deteriorating.